Monday, February 1, 2010

I love calligraphy, but don't have as many chances to use it as I would like. This is Copperplate script done with a speedball C-6 nib. I am happily getting a replacement vintage Gillett 303 pen nib in the mail soon (from a lovely new friend), and will have to rummage up an offset nib holder. But the lumpy swirls in L's and other letters will be so much more delicate! I cannot wait for the mail to come.




(A true friend is the best of all good things, and that, of everything, which one dreams the least of acquiring. Pardon my bumpy translation.)

4 comments:

  1. That looks awesome. How did you learn your calligraphy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8th grade art with Mr. MacMillan :) prior to that....my mom had some cartridge pens and i used to mess around with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have we ever talked about mr. macmillan? And how he came to kennedy, and was my art teacher senior year? And he had us draw straight lines over and over?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, i think we talked about him. he had me draw hallways and rooms constantly...straight lines, too. that was on top of regular class projects. call me crazy, but i loved that art class.

    out of curiosity, did he ever show you laminated 8th grade drawings?

    ReplyDelete