Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Something got finished

Whew, I finally got something finished.  Sort of ground to a halt on the last top I was making her, due to weather and other malaise, but I did get a pair of brown knit pants cut out and sewn.  They were in the works for a week, just waiting for the hour it took to get them stitched up.  Today I finally got them finished, and the little girl is thrilled.  I'm glad to get that done with!

So excited, she could hardly hold still.  

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Too Hot

I meant to have another small garment finished by today, but it's just been too hot to do anything lately.  Hopefully it'll cool off and I'll recoup over the weekend, because Lucy needs the pair of pants I have cut out and yet to finish.  I'm also hoarding some red silk-linen and debating making a dress.  But who needs a red every-day dress, really?  (My husband thinks it would be great.)  I'm thinking I'll make a normal dress in brown or green broadcloth and use that to fine-tune a red version, which I'd wear for all the RSCDS (Scottish dancing) balls and parties I'm scheduled to play for in the winter and spring.  Festive!  Now I just need to procure some brown or green broadcloth, no polyester please, at a good price.  

Friday, September 6, 2013

Second verse, same as the first

Number two is in size 2T in a quilting cotton.  I didn't get a good shot of the fabric detail, but it is a medium pink background with white, pink, and orange dots.  I wanted orange buttons, but these are ok.



The cotton is a bit stiff.  A good wash ought to soften it up a bit.  But, as it is, it's a cute shape.

(Turning around and saying "cheese")

On to the third!  Next is a light blue cotton lawn that incredibly soft.

Sunday, September 1, 2013


This came together fairly quickly, once I was able to put in twenty minutes here and there.  It helped that Lucy wanted to "sew", too, so one afternoon I spent an hour and a half sewing while she sat next to me and stuck pins in pincushions, etc.  I sewed on the last buttons yesterday evening, and then Lucy wanted to wear it for a while.  The light was terrible, so I didn't get any good photos.  Another time!

The front

The back

The fabric is a light peach cotton lawn (I'm guessing it's a lawn, because it's crisp and not drapey like a voile) that stays a little wrinkly, but it pressed nicely on all the hems and pintucks.  It didn't ease well on the sleeve caps, but I'm ok with that.  The buttons are from the fabric store up the street.  The topstitching went well, thanks to easy seam guides on my new machine.  

I am really satisfied with this project.  This was hands-down the best clothing pattern I have ever used.  The outside is lovely, the insides have no exposed seams.  I can't wait to trace up the next one and try other patterns.