Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Some failure

First there were the skipped stitches on the middle few rows.  



Tension problem?  Going too fast with a walking foot?  I don't have enough experience to know.  I sewed the rows down, going very very very slowly.  Didn't have the patience to unpick and re-sew.  (Sigh.)  But it doesn't look too bad, for a first try at all this.  Ahem.  And the  butterflies are doing their job of distracting.


I felt better, so I got out the binding I had cut out and sewn together over the weekend.  I sewed it together just like binding for clothing (I thought) except I managed to somehow sew one strip to the front of one, then that strip to the back of the next, alternating back-front-back-front, the entire way.


(This is with it folded to show the alternating seam problems.)

So......I must cut it all apart and re-sew.  What's that line about falling off a horse?



2 comments:

  1. When I have sewing issues like that, the first thing I do is change the needle to anew one and rethread the machine. Many times that solves the problem. Also, what type of thread were you using? Rayon, or another slick thread? When I use a slick thread, I tend to use cotton in the bobbin of the same color. The cotton grabs the slick thread and helps it to tie together.
    E same color

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed needles twice while sewing, to try and avoid needle problems, alas. I was using cotton thread, not poly or rayon. I asked my mom what she thought and she mentioned quilting batiks being more tightly woven, and that might have contributed to the skipping. Ah well, it really was only in the middle few rows in a few spots, and I will be more careful next time and make a more extensive test patch than I made this time.

    ReplyDelete