Thursday, August 1, 2013

Finished Birthday Dresses

They are done!  It feels good to complete a project, no matter how small.  These were simple to make, but involved twelve gathered tiers of fabric - two fashion fabrics and two lining fabrics, which was a bit time-consuming.  But they came out pretty well.  They're both made of embroidered eyelet with cotton batiste to line them, for anyone who might care to know, using Simplicity 5695.

White (like Mommy's, by request)


(Pardon the trash on the floor.  Everything is a "sticker" these days.)

And yellow.


She has been wearing the yellow dress around for the past hour, so I'd deem it a success.

To hem the dresses, I held her on my lap while sewing.  Desperate, I know.  She held onto the scissors very carefully and handed them to me when I needed to clip threads, and talked about bobbins in the machine, how the needle goes up and down, and how sharp the needles and pins and scissors are.  Who knows, maybe she'll want to learn to sew in a couple years.  That could be fun!


For fun, I pulled out her birthday dress from last year.  It still fit, but is a good 6 inches or more shorter now.


2 comments:

  1. Cute dresses. =) Lucy is getting so big!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. They need a once-over with the iron and maybe a run through the washer before that to get out some more stiffness, but I'm so glad they're done BEFORE my mom comes next week!

    ReplyDelete